Wednesday, November 30, 2011

sick babies are sad babies

I bet, money down, that Samma has been sick a majority of the last 2 months... between colds and teething and just utter gross the poor thing cannot catch a break.

Finally, a few weeks ago, after the beginning of another runny nose, our daycare provider had to call me at work and let me know that Sam was nothing but out of sorts, and she asked that I come get her because she was inconsolable, feeling warm, and playing with her ears. Ahh the benefits of working and living not only in the same town as your office, but also as your child-care provider. And that our pediatrician is the next town over with later hours just makes it all the better. I called the doctor and was able to get an appointment within 30 minutes of my call, giving me just enough time to grab Sam and get to the appointment.

After a weigh-in of 22lbs 12oz, we met with one of our preferred pediatricians, so I knew we were in good hands. She listened to her chest, looked in her ears, took her temp, and everything was clear and fine. She said it seemed like just the beginning of another cold, and the best thing to do was keep her nasal passage cleared (because sucking snot out of a toddler's nose is SO easy) and keep using the cool-mist humidifier. Of course, we can never leave the pedi's office without a little underlying fear - she said if she started to cough, and if her temp spiked, to bring her right back in, because there's been a lot of bronchiolitis going around. Wonderful.

As the doctor was leaving and I was gathering up Sam to put her clothes back on her, a touch of her back reminded me to talk to the doctor about her skin. See, for the last couple of weeks she's been having these dry red patches on her back and belly... It wasn't so much a rash because it would come and go, so after talking to my mom we believed it was eczema but wanted clarification. Sure enough -- eczema it was. The solution? Unscented Dove body wash and Aveno lotion. No more Johnsons, not because it was causing the problem, but because it just wasn't helping. Sad, because we had to many to use, and it smelled so nice, but alas, I am lucky I have friends both near and far who are willing to take the half-used bottles (and then some) off our hands. Plus, there's nothing showing up on her scalp, so we can still get away with fun-smelling Johnson's shampoo!

So now this brings us to today -- Sam still has a runny nose, and the post-nasal drip in addition to the excess saliva thanks to teething causes her to cough, especially in the morning. She still sleeps with her cool-mist humidifier on, but other than that, babies be babies!

But speaking of teething? We have officially entered the world of molars. With the addition of the bottom two, we are now totaling 10 teeth, with more on the way. This last week has sucked, and I know the top two are making their debut -- I can already feel one of them poking through. What does this mean other than a miserable Samantha? It means I REALLY need to start working on fitting teeth-brushing into her nighttime routine. Have the brush and paste bought and everything.... I suck.

So that's all in the sick baby department. Stay tuned for when I update you on the wonderful world of thank you notes and holiday shopping!

No comments: