Saturday, March 5, 2011

Geek Mom Incoming!


T minus 6 days until THE gamer convention of the east coast arrives in Boston. From March 11 to March 13, Boston will be invaded with swarms of video- table- and PC gamers from around the country.

And we are going to be there!

I've always considered myself a geek and a gamer, even before being a geek and a gamer were cool. Ever since I can remember, video games were a part of my life, and they brought not only my friends and I together, but also Chris and I way back when.... so of course, this is something I would like Sami to embrace full-on.

Which is why we're bringing her with us! =)

But of course, if we're going to be bringing our almost-6 month old to an all day/all weekend convention, there needs to be some planning involved.

Item 1: Transportation.

As of yesterday, Sami is 15lbs. I don't know about you, but I'm not one for carrying 15lbs in my arms all day. Sure we could bring a stroller, but the one we have is just WAY too bulky when having to deal with that many people, and Sami's not strong enough of a sitter to be in an umbrella stroller, which is why we bought this:


The ERGOBaby Sport Baby Carrier. And it just arrived yesterday! w00t!

Why this one you might ask? Reviews. The BabyBargain book. The fact that it can be used in the front, side, AND back, up to 40lbs. And it also has an optional extender strap so my 6'4" husband can carry Sam around as well! And even if the extender doesn't work out like we'd like it too, we know it'll most definitely work for me sans strap, so we're good to go!

Item 2: Costumes.

No convention is a convention without cosplaying, and what's the point of bringing your offspring if you can't geek them out?

This was my first idea:


I mean, seriously. How cute is that? But Chris doesn't think $20 is worth it. Or that she'll keep the bunbuns on her head. I say, when else are we going to have the opportunity to dress Samma up as Princess Leia and have it be adorable?!

Ok, so lets say we don't go the all-out in your face costume route... what then? Well, then we stare looking into geeky onesies!


 
 



And if we order today, 3-day shipping is only 75-cents more than ground shipping! THIIIIISSSSSSS close to just throwing it all on the credit card, but I know a sleeping husband who might not be too happy with that, so I shall wait and see what he says once he wakes up!

And the final item...

Item 3: Child Care.

Honestly, as much as I would love to bring Samantha with us all 3 days, I just don't see it happening. For many reasons. One, it's going to be a long day for all of us. Two, she's really fussy when she had to eat in public, outside of her comfort zone with a Boppy and no distractions. And three, we might actually want a day where we don't need to worry about a fussy baby keeping us from panels we may or may not want to see. So the more I think about it, the more I think we're going to leave her with someone on Saturday. We'll bring her on Friday since neither of us will be working, and see how it goes. Friday, though the first day, is usually more low-key than Saturday, though not as dead as Sunday, so it might not be so bad. We'll go in around lunch time, spend as much of the day in there as we can, and hope for the best. I haven't figured out where and when I'm going to feed her, mainly because I've never been to the BCEC before, but I'm sure I'll be able to find a quiet corner.... right? Sadly, I won't be able to drag the Boppy with me wherever I go, so hopefully we'll make due. Either that or it's going to be trekking it back to the car every 3 hours... Plus, we're going to want her there on Friday. Show her off to people. ;D

And then I think we're going to leave her either with my parents or Chris' parents on Saturday. I think I have enough breast milk frozen to last a day. That way, on the busiest day of the con, we'll be able to move around and see what we want to do amongst the masses without having to worry about Sami and her sensory overload.

We'll take Sunday as it comes. Depending on how we feel, and how Sami does Friday, we'll see if we're going to bring her in again, if one of us will go, or if we'll just forgo the whole day.

Regardless of what goes down, it's going to be awesome. I can't wait!!

No comments: