Friday, June 25, 2010

Daycare Vist #2

Yesterday we went to visit the 2nd daycare on our long list of childcare options, and to be honest we were quite impressed. Though smaller than the previous center we visited, the director was a lot more personable and was able to explain the center on a more mundane level rather than trying to sell us something. We also did go earlier in the morning, so we were able to watch the teachers interact with full infant classrooms rather than just seeing the teachers hanging out at the end of the day with one or two remianing babies.

However, the unfortunate thing about this center is the schedule. You have the option of 2-days, 3-days, or 5-days a week... no more, no less, and if you go for 3 days, it HAS to be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and 2 days HAS to be Tuesdays and Thursdays. The director told us having a new child come in wanting a 3 or 2 day schedule was rare, and there was already a waiting list for the same. Granted, it's free to go on the waiting list, but still... so much uncertainty.

This center has been the least expensive of the other centers in our town, so if we were to decide on going in this direction, this would most likely be the option we would chooce. Many factors play into this, however. First, I need to make sure my company will allow me to work a 4-day work week. Second, my mother has to get the approval to work a 4-day work week, and she has to be ok with one of those days being a Tuesday or a Thursday. Unfortunately, I won't be having the meeting with my firm's partners until mid-July, so I can't being to make any plans until after that point. Of course, by that point, I would love to have as many options available to me so I can plan accordingly, so that means Chris and I need to figure out exactly what it is we want to do.

And yet there is still the option of my friend. With her years of childcare experience, she has informed us that she is looking to get her license in the next month. I would trust this friend with my life, but just as with every other center, Chris wants to sit down and discuss everything with her, which I can understand. Honestly, I would want to go with my friend not only because we'd be helping her out while she helps us out, but because it would be less expensive, more flexible, and just a better situation in the end. So we shall see, we shall see....

No comments: