Friday, July 9, 2010

glucoooooose

Sugar is not a pregnant woman's friend, but I enjoy it oh-so much! And it's the worst when you starve yourself of it for 24 hours+ because you don't want any showing up in your system.

Yesterday was my glucose tolerance test (GTT for short - reminds me of a 90s child star) and it wasn't as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. It went a little something like this:

A month ago at my last appointment they gave me a little 10oz bottle of orange liquid (it was that or lemonlime) that needed to be drunk an hour before the test to see how my body would process the sugar, and that little bottle has been chilling in my fridge for the same month. It reminded me of those teenie tiny barrel drinks we used to have over the summers when we were kids - good thing I chose to have orange since that was one of my favorite flavors. Said drink needed to be completed in 5-10 minutes 45 minutes before my 8:15am appointment, so doing the math, I was drinking the most sugary sweet concoction at 7:20am... talk about a sugar high.

I got to my appointment right on time, did my business, weighed myself (yikes) and sat down with the nurse with 10 minutes to spare before my blood draw. She said there wasn't any sugar passed in my urine, so that was a good sign - not a true sign that I was going to pass the GTT - but a good sign nonetheless. The nurse was surprised with my jump in weight ("Wow, you did go up this month!") but the midwife didnt say anything so I'm just going to keep chuggin' along.

The blood draw wasn't that bad... once for the GTT, another to make sure I'm not anemic, and a third for something - I don't remember. I'm glad I ate an egg first thing, because I could feel myself getting slightly lightheaded, but no stars... or maybe that was just my usual blood-giving anxiety.

My monthly appointment went well - the midwife said BabyBaby is measuring at 28 weeks, which is only a few days ahead of schedule, so that works for me! And her heartbeat is in the healthy 150s - it's such a great feeling hearing it every time! I panicked a little, though... the first doppler she tried to use was completely broken and wasn't picking up anything! She must had seen the worry on my face because she assure me there wasn't anything wrong, and went to get a new doppler. Still nervewracking... stupid machinery.

And then there's the issue of the low-lying placenta. Back when we had our little scare, this was something else that came up on the ultrasounds. It appears that the placenta is quite close to the cervix - not covering, but enough to cause minor concern. Of course, everyone said that the only way it can move as the baby gets bigger is away from the cervix, so no one seemed too worried. My midwife still wanted me to have another ultrasound to make sure it's moved safely away, but since maternal-fetal medicine at the hospital never told me to go on any kind of pelvic rest when I was there for the level 2, then there most likely isn't an issue. Fine with me - I'm just excited I'm going to be able to see BabyBaby again!

AND I've graduated to biweekly OB appointments, so my next one is two weeks from Monday, so I'll have the ultrasound when I go then. Plus, I'll be seeing my favorite midwife, so I'm pretty psyched!

But beyond all that good news, other than the usual joint pains and headaches, things are going well. She's lying low, so my back and sciatic nerve are starting to give me problems, especially when I have to get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, but thanks to Angel's body Boppy, sleep has been comfy.

Chris has also finally felt a kick! 1 kick, but he's felt it nonetheless. She's active, but not really one a schedule - the doctor said this is ok, so long as I'm feeling something daily, so it makes me feel better.

So yeah... thats my story. Now I'm just waiting for the call back from the OB's office to let me know how the GTT went, and then I can start enjoying my weekend! I should know when they get the results back around 2pm, so keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: